Senin, 29 Februari 2016

Petersburg Mi How to make fluted trim

My next step is to make some fluted trim for a few vertical corners. I have alot of people ask me how its done, and honestly, there are alot of different methods, from table saw to router, but heres how I do it. Ill run a sample piece for you to see. Lets keep it simple...
First, you need to decide how many flutes you want. Anywhere from 3-6 is acceptible, but you need to do what looks good with your project. Since I made my trim a true 3-1/2" wide, Ive decided I want 4 flutes to get some boldness. If youre attempting this, make it easy on yourself and lay it out on paper first!
Ive chocked up a 1/4" radius round bit (or paddle bit) in the router table (1/2" total bit width). This being the bit Im going to use, I need to divey up 2" total flute width on my total board width (1/2" x 4 flutes). Ive found (by laying it out on paper first) that I can have 1/4" space on the ends, and 5/16" spaces between the flutes, and it looks pretty good.
Now, to make things more copasetic - Ill run one flute, then flip the piece backwards and run the opposing flute. That choice I get two flutes without moving my router setup. Then, with one adjustment on the table, I can run the two outside flutes in the same manner, and waalaa - a four flute trim board!
This is probably the simplist choice to do fluted trim. Note - this is not a stopped flute, it is a continuous flute. If it was a stopped flute, the setup would be modified, and Id have more details. I also couldnt do it until the bookcase was almost all built because I would need the final length measurements.
I hope this answers some questions. As alchoices email me if you have comments...

Related Posts by Categories

0 komentar: