Senin, 22 Februari 2016

Big red laminated bowl process and photos

Hi Everyone,
Well, its been a rather trying day today and so I decided to go down to the wood shop and unwind a bit. I have that big laminated block of kempas, black walnut, and hickory and this is as good a time as any to get started on it so on the lathe it went.
Here we go:
This block is heavy and a little mangled so its going to be a little unbalanced. I screwed it down firmly to the 3 inch faceplate and started turning the bottom and sides. You can see the bowl mounted on the lathe in the next two photos:
This is the bowl after about an hour of work. Its actually not as hard as I thought it would be and its turning nicely. You can see the faint out line of the foot. Its taking some time as there is simply a lot of wood to remove.
Tomorrow (well do this slowly) I think Ill finish the outside completely, all the way through to finish sanding. Then well work on the inside. I think this will be a really nice fruit or salad bowl.
See you tomorrow,
VW

Related Posts by Categories

0 komentar: